Tuesday, November 18, 2008

New Campaign Wiki Via Obsidian Portal

After reading a spate of blog posts on the topic, I’ve successfully launched a (bare bones) campaign wiki. I’m using Obsidian Portal, which is a free hosting site that’s designed specifically for roleplaying games.

My goal is to create entries for most of the major locales and characters in the game — and then include just enough content to get the players interested in contributing. Clearly there’s no guarantee that they’ll bite, but even if I’m the only one who ever edits the wiki, I think it’ll be a good tool to help me organize the campaign. The markup language (HTML and Textile, which I'm learning to love) is just complex enough that I could lose lots and lots of time tinkering with this site.

3 comments:

Bonemaster said...

Good luck with your wiki.

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I'm the guy who started Obsidian Portal, and I just wanted to say that it sounds like you're coming at it from a great angle. I see so many people jump in with the ambition to detail every last inch of their campaign world, only to get burned out and disappointed when their players don't participate.

Just get enough in the system to be useful for your campaign. Then, add as time goes on. Above all, make it useful for you, and don't worry about what others think.

Patrick W. Rollens said...

Thanks micah -- you've created a great tool for us in the gaming community!