Thursday, July 3, 2008

Heroes: Who needs 'em?

I've been on the receiving end of a little (friendly) guff lately from my local game group. See, they caught on to the fact that I like playing heroic characters and generally follow a do-good path through most RPGs I play. In general, this interest in all things "hero" is made manifest across all the game genres I enjoy: fantasy, superhero, dark sci-fi, post-apocalyptic, steampunk and more.

But my guys aren't cutting me any slack for our upcoming Wild Talents game; they're urging me to get away from my roots and play a good, old-fashioned "morally gray" PC. As it stands now, I'm going to go along with it and play a warrior-statesman modeled on none other Grand Admiral Thrawn. (Ours is a sci-fi setting in the far future, so it works.)

I'm going to stop this post before it becomes a "Here is my character/Let me show him to you" entry. But count on more thoughts and reactions from me as I take my first baby steps into the wide world of morally gray play.

1 comment:

Hirth said...

Have you tried looked at Necessary Evil, the Savage Worlds setting where all the Heroes have been killed by alien invaders and the humanity's only home is for the Super Villains to unite and defeat the alien invaders.

Cool Blog guys!