Friday, August 8, 2008

The Great Old Ones

While we're all talking about our favorite games other than D&D, don't forget Call of Cthulhu. Cthulhu is the shit!  

There was a long stretch when I didn't play rpgs at all.  We're talking from the end of middle school through my first year of grad school.  On our way back from Mardi Gras (which was toward the end of our first year), my buddies and I bashfully started talking about rpgs.  We decided to give it a whirl again, and my buddy ran a couple sessions of Cthulhu.  

I remember the end of the game so vividly: We stood by as some weird bird creature stole this poor lady's baby.  It was all our fault.  Madness and tragedy.  We were all so scared that we had to go immediately to the bar afterwards.  At that point, my friend from Minnesota started talking about the benefits of allowing concealed weapons under law.  Because, you know, someone on the Minnesota subway could pull out a gun and pop you at any time, and you need to be able to defend yourself.  

Anyway, Cthulhu officially got me back into rpgs.  I haven't played it in years, but I fucking love it.

I used to really like Car Wars too.

No comments: